POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big numbers : Really big numbers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:30 EDT (-0400)
  Really big numbers
From: Invisible
Date: 28 Jul 2008 11:10:24
Message: <488de160$1@news.povray.org>
Occasionally you'll read about something, and the author remarks that
"this has more than 10^100 possible combinations, which is more than the
number of atoms in the universe", or something similar.

Of course, 10^80 and 10^90 don't *sound* all that much different. They
*are* in fact extremely different (specifically, one is a thousand times
bigger!), but they don't look all that different. Something like 10^496
is rather difficult to grasp mentally.

Does anybody know of a list anywhere that gives examples of really large
numbers? I'm thinking of things like the number of grains of sand in a
cubic meter, the brain cells in a human brain, or the number of
subatomic particles in the visible universe. I for one have no idea even
approximately "how big" these numbers are.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/